Wednesday, October 12, 2016

DH Job Application Abroad, You Think Easy?

If you think applying for a domestic help work abroad is easy,  you are wrong.  I was wrong before I experienced it myself. I thought it was as easy as 1, 2, 3 like getting in the office,  handing in your application, passing the interviews and tests and then flying to the country you applied for but it wasn't. It was a long process that requires a lot of patience, determination and endurance...and some money, definitely!

Household work is the most belittled job there is. We often hear remarks like "katulong ka lang" and "muchacha" in the Philippines. Meaning,  even before flying overseas,  we are already belittled in our home country. I did have a personal experience during the processing of my application. How sad, right? And the government calls you a hero?

You are only a slave! It stings but don't ever let it hinder you from going forward to attaining your goal. Household work is a noble job, so leave no room for arrogant people. Set your goal and work hard.  One won't dare try his/her luck abroad without a goal.  It could be a business, a dream house,  a college fund or simply a monthly family support and so on and so forth.  We overseas workers do have a reason why we are here working our ass out, getting enslaved. And whatever that reason or goal is could be attained easily if we are "masipag at matiyaga (diligent and persevering) at masinop at mapag-impok" (prudent and provident).

Application and Training (My Personal Experiences)

First application was at our local municipal office, Manukan. NOEC knocked on my door through our local government, I gave it a try. It was one of the good things my hometown had ever done for me - offering me a job. So I can say,  there was quite a progress, only the locals are too lazy or maybe too scared to try. I managed to tempt my friend slash neighbor Jeziel to apply with me. And lol,  we applied wearing shorts! 

So,  after filling out the application form followed by a short interview in a harsh Visayan dialect :), it was all done!  The interviewer then set a date, which was a week after for a formal interview in Zamboanga City.  We were given compensation for all our expenses. All expenses were covered up from passport to transportation. Thou I wasnt compensated for my passport because my pregnant recruiter was said to have spent it. It wasn't bad.  We got to travel to Zamboanga for free!
Midst of November I received a call saying I already had an employer and that my visa was being processed. I was like,  okay. I was lightheaded, it didn't sink in right away.

December, since I haven't done a thing, the agency started bugging me to work on my papers, get it all ready and fly to Manila for the training and medical exams.

Second week of January I left home for Zamboanga,  and from there to Manila.  Jeziel backed out from her application for a reason she couldn't leave her children.  For that,  I was thankful I didn't have any or I won't be able to leave as well.
Above was a street view from Zambo. accommodation. It was the night before my flight to Manila.  I was excited and nervous at the same time.

No comments:

June 03: Empty Park Bench

 Today's challenge at FMS photo a day is Empty Park Bench. I have a lot of photos of park benches but here are my favorites. 1. This one...